Friday, January 31, 2014

Wearable Art



When I heard Nina Garcia say that "fashion is not art" on Project Runway I rewound the show a few seconds back (thank god for DVR) just to make sure that I heard right. With that, is fashion art? My stance on the question is that fashion is absolutely art, no doubt about it. The Merriam-Webster definition of art is "something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings"This definition is certainly applicable to clothing, and even more then clothing, fashion. Lets see, clothing is made with imagination and skill while fashion expresses important ideas or feelings. With Spring Couture 210 just wrapping up I figured it would be the perfect time to address this question. Between the picture of Adam and Eve on a Valentino gown (above) and Maison Martin Margiela using "unconventional" materials to create what should be haute couture, I think the answer is clear in this case. For Chanel on the other hand there may be some controversy, many people would not consider fanny-packs and knee-pads art. 
What do you think, is fashion a form of wearable art?

No comments:

Post a Comment